The more you look, the more poisonous plants to dogs you find! Did you know that daffodil bulbs can cause your dog to vomit? If Rex decides to have a chomp, that beautiful daff could make him feel nauseous, or even increase his heart rate. The lovely Bergenia in the corner could cause his tongue to swell and block his air way. Fortunately, nature has its own way of repelling your dog from these nasties. So thankfully, incidents of dogs poisoned by plants are fairly low.
Most dogs won’t eat plants that are poisonous to them.
Hopefully, your dog knows the basic commands such as “NO” and “LEAVE IT.” Obeying these commands might prevent a costly trip to the vet, in more ways than one.
After Preening your garden make sure to sweep up and dispose of flower heads and plant leaves. Keep an eagle eye on your dog when walking in parks and woodlands too.
That said, it does pay to be vigilant in the autumn months when bulbs are planted. The more curious dogs do have a habit of digging them up. Attention should also be paid in spring when the bulbs flower.
If you’re not sure about a particular flower or plant, use your mobile to search a picture with Google Lens.
Below is a list of some of the poisonous plants to dogs. There are photos to help you identify them, and a list of possible symptoms to look out for.
THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE LIST by any means – So please be wary when your dog is around plants.
If your dog chews or eats any of these plants, please seek veterinary help immediately or call the Poison Line.
The leaves, stems and bulbs contain phenanthridine alkaloids which can cause:
All parts of the plant are poisonous, and just a small ingestion can result in poisoning.
The Bergenia can cause swelling of the tongue. This can cause blockage of the air way leading to death.
A single seed from this plant can kill a dog.
Cyclamen contains irritating saponins. If any part of the plant, particularly the tubers or roots are chewed or ingested they can cause:
Daffodil poisoning is caused by the flowers, stems, and leaves. The Daffodils contain lycorine, an alkaloid with strong emetic properties. The most concentrated amount of lycorine is found in the bulbs.
Dog’s Mercury is a highly toxic plant found in woodlands, particularly beech and oak and in shady places, like dense hedgerows.
Foxglove contains naturally occurring poisons. Specifically, cardenolides or bufadienolides, which affect the heart.
All parts of Foxgloves are highly toxic to dogs.
Water hemlock contains the toxins cicutoxin and cicutol. Although all parts of the plant are poisonous, the highest concentration of toxins are found in the roots.
These toxins affect the neurons in the brain as well as the central nervous system.
Hyacinths contain allergenic lactones and other similar alkaloids and are severely toxic.
Lilly of the Valley contains cardiac glycosides which will cause symptoms similar to Foxglove.
Morning Glory plants contain lysergic acid or natural LSD (the synthetic variety is roughly 100 times stronger)
Deadly Nightshade contains atropine and other toxic alkaloids which cause severe toxicity in dogs.
Poisoning in dogs occurs when dogs consume the leaves, roots, or berries of the Deadly nightshade plant.
Oleander contains cardiac glycoside toxins. These are naturally-occurring poisons that affect the heart.
All parts of this plant are poisonous
Rhubarb stems are edible, but the leaves are not. These contain soluble oxalate crystals. (oxalic acid and oxalate salts)
Tulip bulbs are very toxic as they contain allergenic lactones or similar alkaloids.
The Umbrella plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals.
If a dog chews or bites into this plant, tissue penetration and irritation in the mouth and GI tract will occur.